Sunday, August 11, 2013

Buriram United 1-1 Muangthong United

The 'Super Big Match' ended honors even with both goals being netted from penalty kicks. Overall a draw was a fair result and it keeps the title race interesting for the majority of the Thai football community.

The first keeper called into action was Visanusak of Muangthong after seven minutes. He punched a whipped in Theerathon free kick into the air as the home side made the brighter start.

Muangthong gradually settled after a nervy first ten minutes and Piyaphon's low 30 yard drive fizzed about a foot wide of the post.

In the 15th minute, Tanasak made a great block as Dagno Siaka was about to pull the trigger yards from the goal after he'd been teed up by Gjurovski.

Five minutes later, it really should have been 1-0 to Buriram when Carmello released Kai Hirano on the left. The Japanese attacker was through on the keeper, but he sliced his shot wide of the target.

Muangthong were aiming most of their attacks down the right flank, and that tactic almost paid dividends in the 31st minute. Teerasil found space behind Theerathon and his cross into the six yard box was headed tamely wide by Piyaphon's well groomed mane. It the player's positions had been reversed, surely it would have been 1-0.

Moments later at the other end, Ri Kwang Chon's attempted clearance with his back to the ball was miscued directly into the path of Berrocal. The recent signing panicked and pulled his shot meters wide of the target. The meek effort from the Spaniard summed up his contribution throughout the match. The Thunder Castle clearly missed the attacking presence of Javier Patino.

The home side were turning up the tempo and Visanusak made a great block to deny Carmelo from seven yards after Suree had pulled the ball back to him. The TPL top scorer was making his return to the side after a spell in the doghouse and it was him who was looking like Buriram's best bet for a goal.

Three minutes before the interval, a 30 yard Datsakorn free kick hit the top of the crossbar as the action crossed back to the opposite end.

It was 0-0 at the break, and it was the guests who had the first effort in the second period. Gjurovski found Thitipan down the right, but yet again the quality of finish was poor as he pulled his shot across the goal.

Muangthong's stand in keeper was certainly a puncher and his failure to catch the ball from crosses was causing his side problems. Osmar Ibanez almost took advantage of one of his fisted flaps, but his shot on the turn was blocked on the line by a cluster red shirts. 

In the 59th minute, Buriram were awarded a penalty when Kai Hirano slipped in Surat. He was bundled over by Artit as he turned in the box. The South Korean whistler pointed to the spot and Osmar Ibanez duly opened the scoring sending Visanusak the wrong way.

Five minutes later, the referee evened things up when he penalised Tanasak for nudging over Mario Gjurovski as he was bearing down on goal. The Macedonian dusted himself down to even matters.

The match was then held up for several minutes as Visanusak received a lengthy spell of treatment that required oxygen. He was eventually replaced by SEA games hopeful Kampol.

The match lost it's way once it resumed with both sides seeming content to settle for a point. There was very little to note in the last quarter as it ended 1-1.

The draw leaves Muangthong three points behind Buriram in the official TPL table having both played 20 games. It should be noted that Muangthong's points haul includes the 2-1 win at Sisaket earlier in the year. So effectively Buriram are six points clear having played an extra game.

No comments:

Post a Comment