Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sa Kaeo 2-1 Thai Fleet

Sa Kaeo scored two late goals even though they only had ten men as they beat Thai Fleet 2-1. The match looked to have been heading for a stalemate until the dismissal of Peerapat was surprisingly the catalyst that sparked Sa Kaeo into life.

From my own point of view, it was an adventure finding the stadium as I didn't arrive at this match until 4.30 which was 30 minutes past the scheduled kick off.

With the venue given on various websites as the Sa Kaeo Provincial Stadium, I confidently studied Google Maps and rolled up to a location in the centre of the town at 3.45pm only to find that it was a barren park that probably hadn't seen any action since the last time Liverpool won the league.

Without any maps on hand, it was time for my better half to ask locals for directions to the stadium, and inevitably our wild goose chase began.

Eventually our destination was reached at 4.30pm and we paid 40 baht each to enter the away end which was full of home fans with the exception a handful of Thai Fleet followers who'd even managed to bring their own drum.

Add caption
The match must have started five minutes early as by 4.40pm the fourth official was holding aloft the board which was indicating two minutes of injury time.

After a couple of half time refreshments, it was time to finally write what could be salvaged of a match report.

Both sides started the second period playing 4-3-3 formations, and it was the guests who were looking more comfortable.

The groans greeting misplaced passes from the hosts suggested that it had been a frustrating afternoon thus far.

On the hour, Dollar turned and shot from the edge of the box forcing the Thai Fleet keeper to save with his legs.

Turning point
At the other end, newly introduced sub, Pachit, should have done better with his first effort, but he dragged his shot wide from 18 yards.

The changing point of the match came in the 75th minute when Peerapat was given a second yellow for a wild hack. The noise made by the kick on Noppadon's shin pads echoed around the arena as there were little complaints from the home contingent.

Sa Kaeo then decided to sit back and use the pace of Dollar on the counter attack, and it worked a treat.

In the 80th minute, the African broke and played in Suwit who squeezed the ball under the Thai Fleet keeper from a tight angle after he beat him in a race for the ball.

As time was running out, a long goal kick released Dollar, and yet again the onrushing keeper was beaten allowing Dollar to roll home the winner into an empty net.

The same man again rounded Fleet's keeper two minutes later, but this time his shot was blocked on the line.

Noppadon scored a late consolation for Thai Fleet as the four minutes of injury time quickly doubled due to the home side keeper feigning injury.

Overall, I enjoyed my trip out to Sa Kaeo despite missing a third of the match. The main focus this weekend is obviously Thailand v Liverpool and I don't blame the Thai public for wishing to watch their heroes live. For me, I'd rather watch Division 2, although I know it's only me and a sprinkling of expat Thai football followers and local Thai diehards who feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment