Sunday, September 16, 2012

Army United 1-2 Muangthong United

Two goals in the middle of the first half won it for Muangthong as they beat Army Utd 2-1 on a gloomy, sodden night in Bangkok.

It was Army who made the better start with Daniel Blanco sliding one inches wide and Jakkapong forcing Kawin to save his 40 yard free kick.

However, it was the league leaders who took the lead on 26 minutes. A long cross from the left was headed back from the byline by Piyaphon for Dagno Siaka to knock the ball over the line.

Within minutes the Kirins doubled their lead from the spot after the chestnut rinsed Jakkraphan was chopped down in the box by Narong. Adnan Barakat's kick was dispatched into the bottom right corner past an aggrieved Kosin who'd guessed the right way.

The rain continued to pound down making the surface almost unplayable. Any tactics from either side were washed away as the match resembled an under 9's kick about in a waterlogged public park.

Despite the farcical conditions, Army tried to salvage something with Invincible heading close and Anuwat flashing a couple of long range free kicks inches wide. The Army faithful also vented their anger towards the referee after he waved away three decent penalty claims.

Muangthong were quite content to soak up the pressure and hit on the break. Kawin and his defensive colleagues were seconds away from earning their clean sheet bonus, but a looping Alves header from a free kick deep into stoppage time meant that reward was flushed down the drain.

Muangthong now move a massive 13 points clear of Chonburi leaving the itching fingers of the TPL trophy engraver ready to carve a capital M onto the trophy.

It's hard to analyse a match when it's played in soaking conditions like tonight. Muangthong probably showed why they are the champions elect as they won a tough match despite not being at their fluent best. Army fought right to the end and will dwell on what could have been if the heavens never opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment