Saturday, June 18, 2011

Globex FC 1-1JW Rangsit (Globex won 4-3 on pens)

The aftermath of the brawl
This was my first time watching either Globex FC or JW Rangsit. It was certainly an occasion that I'll remember both teams for. The game had 4 red cards, a massive punch-up between the players and a penalty shoot out which Globex won 4-3.

The game started brightly with both teams passing the ball neatly across the ground. JW Rangsit opened the scoring midway through the first half with a header by Itthipol from a free-kick. He was allowed acres of space to direct his header unchallenged into the net.

After that the game became scrappy with the combination of poor passing and overly meticulous refereeing.

Globex's first real attempt on goal came in first half injury time when the JW goalie made a decisive block on the line to prevent an equalizer.

Few in the ground, and literally there were a few, would have denied the away side their 1-0 lead at the interval.

After the break the same pattern of scrappy play continued. On 65 minutes that changed when Globex's #31 equalized with a looping header after the ball had rebounded to him from the bar.

The 1st double sending offs
Minutes later though, the goalscorer was heading for an early shower along with Sommai the JW Rangsit left back.

The incident was caused  by an ugly challenge by Sommai on the touchline. In my opinion, he went in late and deliberately with studs, and not surprisingly the home side didn't like the challenge. That sparked a massive brawl amongst the players with several punches thrown. I think that #31 threw the first punch so the ref had no option to send him off along with Sommai.

The 2nd dismissals
After that there was an undercurrent of tension between the players and it was to be 9 a-side in about the 80th minute as Globex's #7 and JW's African midfielder, Ablorh, were dismissed. This time the ref got it wrong much to the bemusement of both players. They only squared up to each other and a yellow card at most would have been sufficient.

The game ended 1-1 and as usual extra time was a non event. Both sides had 9 men and were naturally knackered. The most active people in the extra 30 minutes were the stretcher boys.

Globex won 4-3 on penalties and will be delighted to book their place in the next round. The home fans will be hoping to draw Muangthong Utd as I think I saw more Muangthong shirts in the home crowd today than I did Globex ones.

Match Highlights

Other Toyota League Cup scores:

Udon Thani 1-3 Chiang Mai (AET)
Jamjuree 0-2 BEC Tero (AET)
Mapthaput Rayong 0-1 Suphanburi
Roi Et 2-2 Army Utd (Roi Et won 4-3 on pens)
Petchabun 1-2 TTM Pichit
Phae 0-4 Bangkok Glass
Nakhon Si Thammarat 0-2 Bangkok FC
Tak 0-1 Raj Pracha
Pattani 0-1 Samut Songkram (AET)
Bangkok Utd 0-1 TOT (AET)
Rayong FC 0-1 Thai Honda (AET)
Prachinburi 0-2 Chonburi
Mahasarakham 1-0 Air Force
Ayutthya 1-3 Thai Port
Thanyaburi Asia 0-1 Phuket
Trang 3-1 Chantaburi
Singburi 0-5 Muangthong
Khorat 0-2 BBCU
Petchaburi 1-2 Sriracha (AET)


  1. Here's some video footage of the brawl:

    Wasn't there a similar incident at Angthong a few weeks back?

  2. Thanks for that. I was looking online for a highlight clip of the match without much success.

    I like the way the guy throws the first punch and then legs it. 555

    There was a similar incident between Samut Sakorn and Angthong. I saw pictures of a pack of Samut Sakorn players/staff kicking a solitary African player on the ground. Very sickening to see. The incident between Globex and JW seems tame in comparison.