Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Double Joy on AFC Matchday 2

AFC Champions League - Group H

Kashiwa Reysol 5-1 Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors
Guangzhou Evergrande 1-2 Buriram United

Buriram United moved to the top of Group H with a fantastic 2-1 win over Guangzhou Evergrande. Make no mistake, this wasn't a smash and grab as Buriram deserved their victory against their much fancied opponents.  Frank Achaempong was immense throughout and was unlucky not to have opened the scoring in the first half after he was twice put through clear on goal. The Ghanaian's pacey runs were a handful for the Guangzhou right back all night and on the hour he won the Thai side a penalty which was converted by Suchao. Ten minutes later the Chinese side were back in the match when Cleo headed in a Mariqui cross. It was cruel considering the hard work Buriram had put in, but on 78 minutes they restored their lead when Achaempong tapped-in after good work from Ohandza. The Thunder Castle's defence lead by Ekwalla held out for the remainder of the match as Buriram announced themselves onto the ACL stage.
Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors suffered another 5-1 mauling as they were beaten by Kashiwa Reysol. The damage was done in the last five minutes of the first half as the Koreans conceded three goals to trail 3-0 at the break. Last year's beaten finalists are now in massive danger of being eliminated in the group stages.
Next up for Buriram is a double header with the ailing Jeonbuk Motors.  There is no evidence so far to suggest that the Thai side can't collect at least 4 points from the next two games and move on to the next stage. That would be an incredible accomplishment for the pre-group underdogs.

AFC Cup  - Group G
Chonburi 1-0 Home United
Citizen AA 2-1 Yangon United

It was double delight for the Thai sides as Chonburi also leaped to the summit of their group after they narrowly beat Home United 1-0. The only goal of the game was scored by ex-Home United boy Ludovick Takam on 70 minutes.
Citizen AA kept in check with Chonburi and Home United with a 2-1 win over Yangon FC in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment