Monday, November 5, 2012

Weekend Review 3-4 November

FA Cup Final
Buriram Utd 2-1 Army Utd

Two goals from Goran Jerkovic helped Buriram United retain the FA Cup for a second successive year. The Thunder Castle always looked in control once Jerkovic had opened the scoring in the 37th minute. His second on the hour had Buriram in cruise control although a late goal from Isarapong gave the cup holders an anxious last 10 minutes. The win gives Buriram United entry to AFC action (I think) next season.

Division 2 Playoffs
(Group A)
Rayong Utd 2-2 Pattani
Roi Et Utd 1-1 Paknampo NSRU
Phitsanulok 2-3 Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya were the only winners in Round 5 which as a consequence extended their lead at the top to five points. The Ancient Warriors had to come from behind after Nloga had headed Phitsanulok into a 10th minute lead. The first half was rather scrappy, yet after the break Ayutthaya upped the tempo and three second half goals via Natthaphat, Chompoo and Antonio Vega tipped the scales in their favour before Phitsanulok grabbed a consolation right at the death. Phitsanulok's Violet Army once again brought shame on themselves as the game was held up for 15 minutes due to them throwing bottles onto the pitch shortly after Ayutthaya had gone 3-1 up. There will most likely be a home ban coming their way.
In the other two drawn games, Nolan Murray's deflected shot put Roi Et Utd ahead before a late Machuca penalty levelled matters for Paknampo NSRU while Rayong United twice came from behind to grab a 2-2 draw with Pattani. The point apiece keeps Rayong Utd and Pattani on the edges of the promotion scene.

(Group B)
Chiang Mai FC 2-2 Trat
Trang 2-0 Thai Honda
Sisaket Utd 2-1 Rayong FC

For the second successive home game, Chiang Mai FC were hit with a late sucker punch as they drew 2-2 in an eventful encounter with Trat. Wuttichai gobbled up a rebound to give Trat a 15th minute lead before Warut equalized shortly before the interval. The game looked to be sailing towards a 1-1 draw until Aboubacar's injury time goal appeared to have won it for the Lanna Tigers. Whilst a couple of Chiang Mai players were still off the pitch celebrating, Trat quickly restarted the game and ran up the park to level through Wuttichai's second of the afternoon. The game finished 2-2 with the referee and his assistants left to negotiate the gauntlet of wrath from furious home officials, players and fans at the final whistle.
Despite the point for Trat, they were overtaken at the top as Sisaket Utd's 2-1 win over Rayong FC moved the Esan club to the summit of the table. The hero of the day was the golden haired Preecha who netted twice for Sisaket Utd.
Trang finally tallied up a win with a 2-0 victory over Thai Honda. It's probably too little too late for the southern champs as they sit five points behind second placed Trat with five to play.

International Friendly
Thailand v Malaysia (Wednesday)

Winnie Schafer's troops begin their preparations for the forthcoming AFF Suzuki Cup with a warm-up against current AFF cup holders Malaysia at the SCG Stadium, Muangthong.
After a disappointing campaign in 2010, Thailand will be out to demonstrate that they are the top dogs in the ASEAN region. A win isn't essential in this friendly, although fans of the national side will be expecting a performance that will wet the appetite for the upcoming tournament that begins towards the tail end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment